Friday, August 30, 2013

Susie Homemaker


The kiddo came home from a hike with a hat-full of chokecherries and I was hit with a nostalgic homemaking wave.


I always thought they were named chokecherries because if you ate one, you'd choke. But, bears love them. Why should the bears have all the fun?

I decided to make syrup.


I ended up with four cups of juice and as many recipes.


I didn't know magenta appeared in nature.






And now I have chokecherry syrup. Three jars fresh - into the refrigerator. Four jars canned.

It tastes like black cherry with a slight tart finish. Very nice.

I'm also making an alcohol beverage I'm calling HOOCH because it sounds more native and less yuppified than fruit-infused liquor.

Two jars processing in the back of the fridge.


We'll have to check back in six months to see how that project turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you!