Friday, April 14, 2006

Journals and Pens

With one notable exception, I cured my notebook acquisition obsession by learning to make my own.

I took a class in Coptic book binding, and began constructing my own journals.

Coptic book binding consists of sewing groups of pages called signatures to a thick cardboard cover.

This is the book binding invented when ancient people stopped rolling up their manuscripts. A book thus made will lie flat when opened making it less likely to incur the wrath of someone trying to write or draw on the pages. Choice of paper and cover decoration is limited only by creativity and imagination.

My most recent journal is covered with papyrus paper and a photo collage. The paper inside is Mohawk Superfine. The pages are blank. If I'm ever magically transported back to ancient Egypt, at least I'll have a job skill.

Since I've learned trying to replace the perfect pencil is the path to heartbreak, most of the time, I use a fountain pen.

The smoothness of a fountain pen is what other pens aspire to, so why settle for an imitation? This pen is a Namski retractable point fountain pen. The barrel is thicker than most to allow for the retractable mechanism. Still, way cooler than the average ball point.

Except for art paper, Davey board and Irish linen thread for binding, building my own journals has saved me tons of money.

Now I am no longer lured down the notebook aisle in every stationary store in America, perpetually seeking the perfect notebook for this project or that.

I already have one at home.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:57 AM

    how long do fountain pens last vs standard cheapo, a dozen for $5 roller ball pens? is the ink refill expensive? reason I ask is I am new to the world of fountain pens and I need guidance, email me or answer on my blog... cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. The refill cartridges for the Namiki in the blog are $4 for a box of 12. I've seen other fountain pen cartridge prices between $4 to $12 per box.

    How long do they last ... boy, I don't know. Just guessing, I'd say, same as other pens. I have had cartridges dry out in the box, but that took a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, my mistake. I checked around and everyone tells me fountain pen cartridges do not last as long as ball points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:02 AM

    Hi -
    I found this blog in a google search for coptic book binding. I am desperate for a good instruction book on book binding that includes a clear guide to coptic book binding.

    Do you have any suggestions?
    I'd be very grateful. You can reach me at info@fragileindustries.com.

    Thanks,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you!