Monday, June 22, 2009

Film Fantasy or How It Used To Be

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away.

Nothing lasts forever, even Kodachrome. Although images made on Kodachrome might. That was its strength in an era of fading colors in color film.

Kodak announced they are ending production of the color slide film, Kodachrome.

Why? More people going digital. Lazy dolts.
I just got a new camera. While reading the manual I suddenly realized THERE IS NO AUTO SETTING ON THIS FREAKIN' THING, and said to myself, Jesus Christ woman, I have to have an auto setting. You can't expect me to THINK. It's been too long.

And Self said back, Bang your head against the wall to generate a hard reboot and try again.

I used to shoot color transparency film even though it had a narrow latitude thus was less forgiving than print film that could be pushed or pulled to suit one's genius or ineptitude.

Positive film and Cibachrome prints. Those were the beauties, back in the day.

Now I've gone completely digital and the darkroom is morphing into a large closet area where I can put stuff that I don't want to think about anymore. Lazy dolt.

I remember when learning the nuance of film was my most important task.
nostalgia: a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition.

An irrecoverable condition. Move along.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you!