Saturday, May 08, 2010

The Glass Teat*

Okay, I haven't mentioned this because I wasn't sure it would stick, but ... I haven't had television in over a year.

One year, no TV.

We canceled our Direct TV connection when we realized we were paying $80 a month to watch Frasier, Lucy and Law & Order reruns.

So, what do we do with that glass fronted box all the furniture is pointed toward?

Movies.

Lately, the old ones. Preston Sturges. Bette Davis.

I've only been tempted to return a couple of times.

Dexter -- with John Lithgow -- oh, I wanted to see that. Waiting for the Dvd.

Lost -- don't tell me -- I'm waiting for the Dvd.

Oscar night -- eh -- a tossup.

Would've watched the Kentucky Derby. I like horses.

Most nights, a movie. Some nights, we read. Others, we talk.

I beg your pardon, what was that?

Still others, it's really quiet here.

Television is a drug. from Beth Fulton on Vimeo.


TV, who knew?

Just say no.




*Landmark book on television by Harlan Ellison. More here and here.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you. Except for Netflix, I haven't used the TV in months and months. TV sux. Sometimes I hear my husband turn it on and I wonder how we ever could stand the frenetic, hyped-up voices, the pow-pow-pow of nothing. I treasure instead the swish of the wind through the trees and the purring of the cat. With the occasional movie or documentary via Netflix. Mostly I read, by preference. Though hubby prefers video stuff. I think he's forgetting how to read--it seems so difficult for him now. What a change for the man with the Ph.D. and J.D.!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you!