Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Wouldn't It Be Nice

In 2001: A Space Odyssey, HAL, the space station’s onboard computer becomes increasingly resistant to human direction.

I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

My iPad isn’t that honest. It just doesn’t do what I want.

The problem with an iPad isn't increasing self-awareness, it's that the iPad is almost a computer.

Almost.

ALMOST a computer.

I have an iTouch and an iPad Mini. I remember when the iTouch got Bluetooth capability, but only for earphones when what everyone wanted was a keyboard.

Eventually, Bluetooth keyboard compatibility was added, but it seemed to take years.

I sold my photo safe back when they were cheap, and started using the iPad to back up my pictures on vacation. I would nearly fill the iPad 32 gb, but it worked.

We’re getting ready to go on a vacation, and this time I may have massive amounts of video, so I went looking for a way to backup the backup on the iPad.

Well, stop right there. Ain't happening. It is not possible without iTunes which means access to a computer.

There are a few hacks to get stuff onto the iPad without a computer, but out of the iPad onto a jump drive. No. And it has that nice little USB to lightning connector hanging right there, but it only works to download a camera.

With the iPad, apparently, the signs all point one way. If they didn't, I might use iTunes less, but I'd use the iPad more. Apple constantly bombards me for updates with features I don't want or that my device can't use, so why oh why, can't I get the one I want?

I recently changed my entire camera system so I would no longer be carrying a camera that weighed as much as a boat anchor. Plus now I have a video setup that is pretty streamlined and lightweight. I am not inclined to add a computer to the load.

I have a MacBook Air that is barely bigger than a regular size iPad, but jeeze. What good is technology if it causes more problems than it solves?

Obviously, almost a computer is only good for complete insanity.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you!