Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Yellowstone


Now, this one has a story.

Christmas Day, snowshoeing around Old Faithful, we were passed by a group on a "Photo Safari."

They were all encumbered with backpacks, tripods, long lenses, full frames and other assorted large DSLRs.

Since I was spending most of my energy staying upright, the camera I had around my neck was a tiny Nikon and I had the latest Go Pro in my pocket. I caught the sneer on the face of one young fellow as he passed us by with all his accoutrements. I could have told him I've been shooting pro Nikons since before he was born, but like I said, I was using all my energy to stay upright on my first snowshoe adventure.

As I clomped around, I watched the group gather as one, disassemble all their equipment, photograph diligently something in the distance, then repack and scurry around the bend.

I wondered what the heck were they looking at and photographing as one?

And there you have it. One buffalo, or BISON BISON if you're a purist. I caught a glimpse of the group as they stopped, unloaded and shot again, another angle of the lone buffalo.

It occurred to me that I would be annoyed if I paid a lot, carried a ton of equipment around (in the snow) and then got the same picture as has every other person who ever traipsed through Yellowstone National Park.

Just to be sociable, I took one too with the camera I like to call the fckn phone.

After that, I lost sight of the photo safari troop. Who knows what wonders they went on to discover. I learned I can snow shoe.




4 comments:

  1. I like that you're doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      Thank you. I was seriously out of practice or spoiled by the auto setting. It's fun getting back into it.

      Delete
  2. Isn't the snow just beautiful? It looks so fresh and clean! We got another 5 inches yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maribeth,
      Yellowstone in winter looks like magic fairy land. Back at home we're still snow free, but forecasts say this weekend.

      Delete

Glad to hear from you!