Tuesday, August 26, 2008

By Jingo

I'd heard of this, but never experienced first hand.

Bought a new router, faster with better security, after a neighbor came over to brag about the the free Internet she'd found. :P

Unwrapped a Linksys WRT160N. Followed the onscreen directions, complete with cartoon animation.

Everything went peachy keen until I couldn't connect to the web based setup page to further tweak the security features.

Read the FAQ. Followed the question per question directions. Apparently Macs have special needs. :)

12:37 AM, decided to call the 24/7 Tech Support.

Connected to someone in a land, far, far away, with an accent so thick I coulda walked on it to New Delhi.

Now, that accent that sounds inspiring in a guru but is not all that helpful in Tech Support.

He had to repeat directions, twice, and all he wanted was my phone number.

Okay.

Then, he wanted my email.

No, thank-you.

He went on for quite a while about didn't I have any email, he needed it and a bunch of stuff I couldn't for the life of me understand.

Still no, but thanks.

More wind about any email . . .

No. I don't want spam from Linksys.

. . . email address . . .

Listen, Sparky. I am not giving you my email address. Just tell me how to fix this god-forsaken, piece of crap router, I had the misfortune to buy in a moment of psychotic masochism.

What is the problem?

Told him again.

CLICK. CLICK. CLICK.

Sorting through computerized instructions. Hopefully not the same ones I read on the website.

You need to talk to the ADVANCED TECH SUPPORT for this problem. Do you want me to connect you?

Nah. Let's argue about my email address some more.

If you let us help you, we'll fix your computer correctly. They'll need your email . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you!