Friday, May 19, 2006

THE Movie -- One Opinion

One small disclaimer about me as a movie reviewer.

I saw the movie Friday afternoon. Yes, I rushed right out to one of the first showings and it was only partly to loft a finger at Church Officials who said I was too stupid to know what's good for me.

First impression -- the book was better.

I know admitting a fondness for popular fiction is declaring to the world low brow taste, but I liked that book.

Second impression – parts of the movie are brilliant.

The DaVinci Code is a lesson on pesky exposition. They had more than 2000 years of backstory to deal with, and although director Ron Howard used some interesting techniques and beautiful visuals to accomplish the backstory reveals, every time someone had a story to tell, the movie limped to a stop. And they did it over and over again.

One creative solution I thought was very nice was how they dealt with the symbols and Robert Langdon’s figuring out the symbols. How many times have we been told as screenwriters, don’t write what we can’t see. Don’t write what a character is thinking. We can’t see that.

Here we can. When Tom Hanks as Robert solves a tricky puzzle, his thought process is visualized before our eyes. Much better than meaningful looks or staring into space.

Up to the big explanation of The Last Supper, the movie was great. From there it crept ever more slowly toward the end. And, if you’ve read the book, you won’t be surprised.

POSSIBLE SPOILER – LAST CHANCE TO TURN BACK

I used to hang out with a group of women who had in their number both feminists and professional religious. We had long discussions about how the world turned from a feminine divinity expressed in paganism to a one God, male-only Divine. How this happened, what evidence was left, what it meant for women -- then and now -- are important, interesting questions that are covered in the film BUT they are expressed by the whacko, obsessed, psycho villain.

One part of me thought, no one will take this seriously or understand the implications. Another part of me recognized Screenwriting Lesson #9789 – who says what is as important as what gets said.

Pardon me if that’s been obvious to you since Screenwriting Lesson #1, but I’m ...

~CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADJECTIVE~
  • A Slow Learner
  • Pedantic Beyond Hope Of Recovery
  • A Flake
I enjoyed Tom Hanks as Langdon. I didn’t expect to. His gentle scoffing during THE BIG EXPLANATION made me want to have a nice long talk with him.

Part of the audience at the matinee I attended, laughed at the BIG REVEAL. That same part laughed at the ending. Five people down front applauded.

Impromptu discussion groups formed during the exit. What I overheard was they liked the movie. They liked the book more. People, waiting in the long line for the 7 o’clock showing, called out, “How was it?” People leaving, smiled and said, “Good.”

THE ISSUE

The idea of the Feminine Divine and how history and the Church have treated Mary Magdalene and women is old news for feminists and others who resist patriarchal authority.

If you’re interested, I suggest you read the source material.

The Nag Hammidi Library is a collection of fourth century papyrus manuscripts, translated from Greek to Coptic, discovered in a jar in 1945. Published in English in 1978. Link to the book at Barnes and Noble in sidebar.

Included are the Gospel of Mary, Thomas and others. Some of it is similar to the Gospels that were included in the Bible. And some is not. It’s not a beach read, by any means, but if you’re interested in theology and alternative thinking, try it and see for yourself.

Personally, none of this conjecture troubles me because I’m ...

~~CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADJECTIVE~~
  • Liberal
  • Tolerant
  • A Flake
The real hero of The DaVinci Code is that ancient librarian who preserved these manuscripts so we could have different voices to ponder.

“Now I see you contending against the woman like the adversaries. But if the Savior made her worthy, who are you indeed to reject her?” The Gospel according to Mary.

Who indeed.

6 comments:

  1. Fabulous post!
    Goddess bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.

    This morning the homily in my little parish was an attack on Dan Brown and The Da Vinci Code, book and movie.

    I couldn't believe it. I confess a tendency to be over dramatic, but if we start denouncing novelists from the pulpit, what's next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who's next, indeed. How disappointing that must have been! What was the general reaction to this nonsense?

    Methinks they doth protest too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone loves our parish priest, so they nodded along. Stand among the flock and bleat along with the rest. I thought I was the only one having a problem, but I noticed an older guy getting twitchy in front of me -- commenting to people next to him during the homily. During the peace exchange, he walked back to me and said, "The Lord's peace to you, someone should tell Father to read the first page of the book where it says this is fiction." And I thought, All right!

    I heard later, the few who didn't agree with the message thought the priest was probably told by higher-ups to impart the message. I didn't agree with that either. Personal responsiblity. How hard would it have been to see for one's self what the fact page said instead of just passing along misinformation?

    I am disappointed, and don't know what to do with that feeling -- except, looks like the world movie-goers are thumbing their collective noses at the Powers Who Would Control What We See --

    "Methinks they doth protest too much." By Sunday afternoon, I was wondering about that too. Why'd this one get their knickers in such a big twist?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I don't believe Mary Magdalene was Mrs. Jesus, but at least the Powers That Be would know he wasn't gay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pooks,

    Did you notice the Moleskine in the movie?

    When Hanks/Langdon steps to the podium to give the symbol speech, he's clutching a Moleskine filled with notes and symbol drawings.

    When he's trying to deduce the meaning of the numbers at the murder site, I believe he's using a pocket briefcase 3x5 card thingy from Levenger.

    Is there a controversy about whether or not Jesus was gay? (I'm so sheltered here.) If the Church had to pick one -- married/gay -- wonder which they'd choose?

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you!