Monday, February 18, 2008

Rest In Peace

Last weekend, our veterinarian was killed in a household accident.

We had a professional relationship with her for over twenty years.

She shared our joy at happy times: puppies.

She was comforting and kind at sad times: old dogs.

She was steady in difficult times: cat shots.

She was resourceful in tough times: mystery illnesses.

She was generous with her time.

When I received a grant to make a photographic exhibition of professional women, she volunteered to be a model.

When I heard the story, I was overwhelmed with sadness. She had just seen Gracie and laughed at my pagan baby stories. I’m going to miss her.
No man is an island, entire of itself;
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less,
as well as if promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were.
Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind;
and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
it tolls for thee.

John Donne

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to read about your friend. The Donne sermon excerpt is wonderful, isn't it? Where will you ever find such a great friend of pets and people again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. There are a couple of other vets in her practice, but none like her.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you!