Friday, January 27, 2006

Wannabee Scribe Discovers Secret Of The Universe!


So, I’m writing my script this morning, and it occurs to me, this seems to be moving along a little faster than usual.

Never hesitating to look a gift horse in the mouth, my next thought was --

What’s up with that?

Conclusion: it’s the Board. The Save the Cat method of knowing all the Beats, Turning Points and all the Acts before the writing begins.

You know, like an outline.

DUH.

It’s not that I never outlined before. I have. Kinda.

Something like this.
  • Act 1 – this is what happens.
  • Act 2 – then this probably happens.
  • Act 3 – and finally this.
Which isn’t much help when I get stuck wondering what happens NEXT and have to sit and think and think and sit and stew and fret until something comes to me. Facing the Second Act as a blank spot the size of the Sahara can be unnerving. And time consuming.

Now that I’ve probably jinxed myself into oblivion, I’ll sign off.

Your ever faithful,

Space Cadet.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:33 PM

    you didnt jinx urself, its a good method, like the scientific method a little, and if you get stuck you dont have to start all over, u can just go back to your last step in the board. or tweak your hypothesis like in the sci. method. and now you wont feel overwhelmed in the sahara. im going to start doing it so i can sleep and not worry about my projects. :D

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you!