Monday, July 28, 2008

X Files - Movie 2 - Spoilers

Remember - The Truth Is Out There?

No, it isn't.

Now we have, I Want To Believe.

Yeah, well, okay.

When Duchovny left the series, so did I. X Files turned into a mushy, continually unresolved mess and that made it boring to me.

(Although, it certainly prepared me to become a fan of LOST

Everything anyone missed from the last season is tied up nicely in the first ten minutes which is kind of like not missing it at all.

I went into the movie expecting to bask in the glow of fondness for characters I watched for years. Kinda like the first X files movie.

Alas.

Chris Carter broke his own taboo to bring the characters to a logical conclusion or some other inane reason to give us this.

Sexual tension made this pair interesting. Would they? Could they? Did they? Do they wanna?

Once they're in bed, the story is over.

When Mulder snags Scully in a lip lock, can I just say, ick.

Oh well.

This movie plays like an extra long and not scary TV episode. I coulda waited for the DVD. There are a couple nice laughs. One, I'm sure, entirely unintended. (Kind of like the first X Files movie.)

One -- pictures of Bush2 and J. Edgar Hoover bracing a door Muldar and Scully must walk through to rejoin the FBI. Everybody laughed.

Two -- the team takes a psychic, consulting on the case, to the "crime scene" to test his veracity. He says, "this isn't where it happened," and walks across the street to the house wrapped in yellow crime scene tape. Everybody laughed. We could all be psychics.

One bright light shining out of the mediocrity is Billy Connolly as the psychic, pedophile priest. He is dark, creepy, surprising, scary. You know, like the X Files used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you!