Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Camera Shy

This trip, I took only one camera, one lens, no film, no computer, no photo safe, no backup.

I was practically naked.

It wasn’t long before I missed the 8 mg Oly, because that one slips right in a pocket.

But.

I had left it home, in a TSA fear-induced coma.

I took 939 pictures in three days with a Nikon D40 and a 55 to 200mm zoom lens. I filled one 4 gig SD memory card and half of another – which is easy to do when one is trying to get a picture of a flock of pelicans flying in front of the setting sun and the pelicans a l m o s t cooperate.

Actually, those are seagulls.

Here are the pelicans.
Neither flock cooperated.

I had to content myself with sun, sand and surf.

3 comments:

  1. You were afraid they'd confiscate your camera? How come?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not confiscate -- but bring me unwanted TSA attention. I know a writer who was grilled for an excess of pens. Why do you need so many pens? Nowdays, a camcorder gets extra screening.

    I know I planned to take the Oly 'cuz an extra battery and sd card for it were in the camera bag. Guess I was using all my brain cells to worry about being searched, and didn't have any memory to spare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling. I couldn't take my bottle of water with me, and I stood there, drinking as much of it as I could (though that's not good for my intraocular pressure) and then poured the rest of it into a nearby planter. I just couldn't bring myself to throw it away. I thought I could prove that it wasn't a threat by drinking it, but the gendarmes were not amused. Nor convinced.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you!