Saturday, January 10, 2009

Get Off My Lawn


Finally.

Finally
.

After a very l o n g stretch of sitting through mediocre or less movies.

Gran Torino.

Went to the first matinee, Saturday afternoon. Theater was full.

Clint Eastwood is a brave actor. Not afraid to let the audience see his age. He's a brave director. Eastwood's character, Walt Kowalski is a hard sell for quite a stretch in the film. By the end, he generates real emotion, not the cheap-trick, tear-jerking of let's say, killing a dog.

I laughed out loud several times, then I cried.

I bet this line is going in Eastwood's iconology.

Ever notice how you come across someone once in a while, you shouldn't have fucked with?

And look, nostalgia fans. Beefcake.

And the song over the end credits is stuck in my head.

gentle now the tender breeze blows
whispers through my Gran Torino

But, I don't mind.

1 comment:

  1. Friends at work went to see "Gran Torino" and raved about it, just raved. And this is a group who usually can't be pleased by anything, no matter how well done. I'll have to see it at the first opportunity. Old Farts (I'm one) rule!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you!