Friday, August 18, 2006

Snakes on a ... you know what

I went to the first showing of SNAKES ON A PLANE last night.

I laughed. I jumped. I closed my eyes two times at the gross parts. (ick)

If you are unaware of this phenomena, it started with Josh Friedman's blog (page down to August 17.)

Two screenwriting lessons presented themselves with this picture.

First, the one about high concept. SNAKES ON A PLANE. Need we say more? Apparently not.

Second, if you want to experience the target audience Hollywood perpetually chases, check out the SOAP audience.

Teenage boys.

On the young side of teenage.

I thought this was interesting. Last week at the same time showing of THE DESCENT, the audience was college students, and me.

The SOAP group was high school kids, and me.

Wonder why?

Now, I couldn't sign off without one teensy, tiny, eensy, weensy, little old negative comment, could I?

No.

Don't know about the SNAKES, but they got almost all of the PLANE part wrong.

No spoilers follow.

Snake bites a wire. Lights go off in the cockpit. The Captain yells, "We just lost Avionics. Call LAX and tell them ..... "

In the real world, Avionics is the radio.

In SOAP world, it is apparently the light panel above the pilot's head that twinkles sparkly yellow lights.

Now, only a joyless nit-picker or FAA Inspector would mention the aviation gaffs in this movie. Guess with whom I was sitting?

Didn't matter. Added a laugh or two. Or three. And there was stuff the kids were laughing at that I wasn't getting, so I guess it evened out in the end.

I predict it'ssssssssssssssssss a hit. It certainly was a fun night at the movies.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad that this one was fun enough to live up to all the unreal hype, even with the inconsistencies ... I'm gonna finally see it later today, and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:50 AM

    the first really bad movie people know in advance it's bad and are quite damn happy about it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think it was bad. It's just, if the audience you want is young teenage boys, the movie's not going to be DR ZHIVAGO.

    And I like teenagers. Their energy is unique. We had fun talking to them, and none of the polite young teenage boys asked, "Why is this old lady talking to me?"

    We had more fun trying to remember if we were ever that goofy and dopey.

    I can't recall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea how the movie came about. Makes sense, though. Okay, I MAY see it when it comes out on DVD. (Usually, I eschew snakes.)

    You're a neat "old lady" for appreciating teens, btw. (Is "neat" still in?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Neat?" Probably not. Hip and cool are probably not what they say anymore either. Remember when bad meant good? I kinda liked that. Who knew what anyone was talking about then?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sankes? Why'd it have to be snakes?

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you!